Citizens Police Academy
To date, over 700 individuals have successfully completed the academy. Many of these alumnae have joined the Sheriff's Office family by volunteering efforts in the areas of courtesy patrol and other opportunities available.
The 34th session will begin September 12 and last through November 14, 2023. Applicants must be one of the following with no criminal background:
- Employed in Hanover County
- Hanover County Business Owner
- Hanover County Resident
During the session, classes meet each Tuesday evening from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. with presentation topics and hands-on training offered by:
- Forensic specialists covering crime scene investigation techniques
- Narcotics investigators educating attendees on illegal drugs
- Youth Services officers covering the rapport, presence and assistance provided to our schools
- Our Safe Streets division and the success this unit has had in reducing crime in Hanover's more populated corridors
- Hands-on patrol experience in conducting traffic stops and building searches
- Ride-a-long opportunities for those interested in participating
One class meeting is held on a Saturday at the Sheriff's Office firing range. On this day, class participants learn about the various weapons utilized by the Sheriff's Office. Participants also have the opportunity for supervised target practice and learn about the various special units at the Sheriff's Office including:
- Canine Unit
- Dive Team
- High Risk Entry Team
- Mobile Command Center
- Traffic Safety Unit
Successful completion of the CPA allows you to become eligible to participate in the department's Volunteer Program.
If you would like more information on the CPA, please email Lisa Hancock or call 804-365-6409. You may complete our application (PDF) and return it to the Sheriff's Office by July 15, 2023. Students are notified in early August of their acceptance into the fall session of the academy.